Thursday 14 March 2013

Message from Dad...

Last home we lived in before coming to Canada in 1967.
Hi Daniela, it just occurred to me that it was on March 13th that we arrived in Toronto. A brilliant blue sky and the coldest temperatures I had ever experienced in my life. The fact that I brought a sunburn with me from Germany did not help nor did the summer suit I was wearing. Your mother was equally disadvantaged with summer or spring clothes. I do remember that her mini skirt turned heads where ever we went. Nobody in London Ontario had ever seen a mini skirt. As far as we were concerned people walked around in pajamas. Big bold colors plaids,shapeless pants and coats with large leather straps and well over the knee. And hoods. We compared with downtown London with scenes out of old british movies. Except for the large cars that moved along at snail pace. Anyway it was quiet the experience. Thought you may be interested since you were a major player. Your Mom had her purse stolen buying a crib for you at Eatons. With most of our money in it. Welcome to Canada. Love Dad
                           ... email from Juergen Schmidt, my father.

By Daniela Schmidt

No comments:

Post a Comment